How to Build a Rabbit Hutch 2022 – Step by Step DIY Guide
Whether it is humans or animals, it always feels nice when you do something for someone you care about. Building a home for your pet rabbits is one of those things. Of course, you can always go out in the market and buy ready-made hutches, but if you do that, you’d missing out on the thrill and excitement of building a rabbit hutch with your own hands.
This guide is only for the people who like doing DIY stuff. If you don’t feel like going through the process, that is fine too. You can always find a reasonable hutch product for your pets online. But, if you want to take things to the next step and build a DIY rabbit hutch, this is the guide for you.
We have broken down the entire process into easy to understand steps that you can implement at your own pace. So, get ready to have a lot of fun building a super cool hutch for your furry little bunnies.
Reasons Why You Might Want to Build a Rabbit Hutch?
First, let’s go through some of the reasons why you would want to make one by yourself in the first place.
- You like DIY stuff. You want to do something nice for your pet rabbits, with your own hands. It makes you feel happy, excited and kind of fulfilled.
- You want to go custom with your hutch. Maybe you have a lot of pet rabbits or your rabbits have certain traits that are not met by conventional hutches. You want to build something that is just for your pet rabbits.
- Building one by yourself costs less. It would much more affordable for you than buying a product from a famous brand. You can easily get the materials from the market and build it all yourself. You would be saving a lot of money on transportation as well as other unnecessary expenses.
- You can be as creative as you want with design. You can create a fun living space for your pets that they would just love playing around in.
- You want a unique rabbit hutch that is different from the conventional models. Basically, you want to create something unique for your pet rabbits.
Building a Rabbit Hutch – Prerequisites
Before starting with the process, you need to clarify a few things. You need to figure out what your end goal is. What kind of features you want your rabbit hutch to have? Let’s go over some of the things that you need to know about before building a rabbit hutch.
First, you need to figure out the best wood for building the rabbit hutch. You can follow this step by step guide or ask an expert that knows about it.
- Also, you need to determine the size of the hutch that you want to build.
- Is it going to be for indoor use or outdoor use?
- Does it need to be portable?
- What about the durability of the product?
- How can you ensure that your pets remain safe inside it?
Once you answer all these questions, you would be ready to start with the process of building the rabbit hutch. Here are the steps that you need to follow when a building one hutch for your pet rabbits.
Step 1: Start with A Plan
When you think about it as a whole, building a rabbit hutch might seem like a gigantic task. And that’s true to some extent. But if you have carefully planned each step of the process, your risks of messing things up reduce a lot.
So, the first step is to plan, and plan well. You need to figure out your exact requirements for the rabbit hutch. Here are some pointers for you to keep in mind in the planning phase of building a rabbit hutch.
- What are the dimensions going to be?
- How many floors for the rabbit hutch?
- What are the tools needed for the build?
- What kind of materials would be the best?
- What kind of design are you aiming for?
- What are the steps that you are going to take for the durability of the rabbit hutch?
Once you have clear answer to all these questions, you can begin the next step and that is, getting your hands on the tools that you need for the build.
Step 2: Figure out The Tools Needed for The Build
You can ask any craftsmen and they would tell you that when it comes to build something great, aside from the idea, the right tools can make all the difference. You can’t hope to create something magnificent with the tools that are not worthy of the job.
When it comes to building a rabbit hutch, there are some common tools that you can use for creating any design that you want. Here are the tools that you are going to need for building the rabbit hutch for your pets
- You are going to need quality, medium-sized hammers
- 3- and 1-inch steel nails that are of high quality
- Wire Cutters and Pliers would also be needed
- You are going to need screw drivers as well
- Hinges for doors and Wire Mesh for Creating a Protective Fence
And obviously, you are going to need a measuring tape to make sure that all the measurements remain exactly how want them. For an average sized rabbit hutch, the recommended size is about 24” x 72” x 3/4”. You can create your custom measurements as well.
Step 3: Building the Frame
Next you want to do is to build the basic structure i.e. the frame of the rabbit hutch. You are going to take quality wood for the frame, cut it exactly as per the measurements that you set in place and combine that pieces together.
You are going to use nails and hammers to attach the pieces together. At this point, it is all about getting the right measurements. It may not be as easy as it seems. Let’s take a look at an example.
Let’s say you have cut a 24” board and a 48” board. You would need to join both these boards using nails and hammers. You are going to place both these boards against one another to create the structure that you want for your rabbit hutch. Same process goes for the rest of the pieces. Join all these pieces together as per the design that you had in mind for it before building it.
Step 4: Designing the Door
Designing the frame is the only difficult part that you need to do right. The rest of the process is quite simple and fun. Now, you need to start planning about the door of the rabbit hutch. You need to figure out the design of the door and the locking system that you want to install with the door.
You need to cut a rectangular shape wood of the size of the door that you have made available in the hutch. Next just nail the wooden board for the door to the hutch. You can use custom clippers that you usually see in the wooden doors of your home, that allow you to smoothly open the door. You can use the same ones for your rabbit hutch.
Installing a door is a tricky job. It is not like joining the pieces together. You have to think about how the door is going to open as well. So, if you feel like you can’t create a door, you can go with pet Friendly wire fence that you can nail in the place of the door. You can leave the space for the door open, if the rabbit hutch is going to be placed indoors.
Step 5: Adding Protective Wire
You need to install protective wire for the hutch. You are most likely going to leave some space for your rabbit pets in the hutch where they’ll be playing around. That place needs to be covered with protective wire.
Installing a steel wire would be just for you. And the good thing is, it is not difficult at all. You would just need to nail the wire with the wood. Still, when buying the wire for the rabbit hutch, make sure that it is chew proof. It needs to be pet friendly as well. You need to buy protective wire that offers excellent durability and that would keep the predators away.
Step 6: Adding Legs to The Hutch
With the previous step, most of the hutch building process is now complete. You can go on and put your rabbits inside the cage. Still, if you are looking to make your rabbit hutch portable, you would need to add legs to the rabbit hutch. This is quite an easy step, if you do it right that is.
For installing hutch legs, you have two options. You can either go with the old-fashioned wooden legs, or you can buy caster wheels that are easy to install. When installing legs for the rabbit hutch, you need to be careful with the measurements. Because the entire rabbit hutch would be standing on top of the hutch legs. You need to carefully think about the weight distribution and then add the legs as per the weight of the rabbit cage.
Step 7: Applying Paint on The Hutch
The final step of the process is the most fun part. You have to pain the rabbit hutch. You can be as creative as you want with this step. Use color combinations as per your choice. Still, there are some things that you need to keep in mind when installing paint on your rabbit hutch.
- The paint should be non-toxic. Rabbits like to chew the wood and if the paint is toxic, it could create health problems for your pet rabbits.
- The needs to be weatherproof. If you want to out your rabbit hutch outside your home, you need a paint that can withstand severe weather conditions.
- The paint should offer insulation. It should be able to keep the inside of the hutch warm during the winters.
Also, if you don’t fee like it, you don’t have to paint the inside of the rabbit hutch. There is no need to do that. It is better this way because your pet rabbits won’t be able to chew paint if it is not there at all.
Bonus Step: Add a Running Ramp
Adding a running ramp to the pet hutch would offer your pet rabbits with a fun way of running around the rabbit hutch. They would be getting a lot of exercise this way. And the best part is, installing a running ramp is not that difficult.
A running ramp is just a wooden board that you install in your rabbit hutch. It is mostly used in rabbit hutches that have multiple floors. So, if you rabbit hutch has a top floor and you need to connect it with the ground, you would take a wooden board and use it to connect the top floor to the ground. And that would be your running ramp for the rabbit cage.
That’s all there is to it. If you have successfully created the rabbit Hutch that you wanted, Congratulations! And if things didn’t go your way, then don’t worry. Since it was your first attempt, it is quite natural for you to hit a few bumps along the way. You’ll do better next time. You did your best and that is all that matters at the end.
Building a rabbit hutch is a fun job that would spark up your creative side and would make you feel great. When you build something that your own hands, that feeling is always exhilarating. So, it would be a win-win for you and your pet rabbits.
Follow the step by step guide that has been given above to create a stunning hutch for your pet rabbits.